A marking systems manufacturer required an integration solution to replace inkjet printers with a laser marking system for date and lot code markings for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer. The system must also provide 100% inspection and verification of each package marked.
Premier Automation was challenged to design a control system that integrates vision inspection, PLC control, custom laser communication protocols, and a visual operator interface that made the system easy to use for the factory floor operator.
Premier Automation designed a control system that integrated 11 vision inspection cameras and 4 laser controls that inspects and verifies 100% of the product, while reducing setup and cleanup time by 2 hours per day. The new system improved inspection accuracy by 95%, resulting in savings of approximately $2 million per year.
- Designing and implementation custom laser communication protocol
- Challenges in OCR recognition of marked packaging.
- Packaging is moving along a production line thus making visual inspection more challenging
- Design a custom control system to integrate into existing OEM manufacturing process.
- Implementation of FTP server for image capturing of fault images
- Design a system to make complex operations easy and intuitive for factory floor operators
- Implementation of proper security techniques to disallow improper operator access and activities
- FDA pharmaceutical validation approvals
- Allen-Bradley Control Logix PLC platform
- Allen-Bradley advanced Ethernet TCP/IP communication module
- Window 7 Professional Operating system
- 11 Cognex Insight Vision cameras
- 4 Solaris Laser marking control systems
- Encoder pulse input for aiding accuracy in marking system quality
- PLC programming
- HMI design and implementation
- Custom protocol interface design and implementation
- Start-up and commissioning
- Engineering and design of complete control system and electrical integration
- System documentation
- Validation testing and support
- Operator training
- System Support after commissioning
- Requirement for easy, intuitive operation
- Develop custom interface protocol
- Provide 100% visual inspection and qualification of all packaging
- Provide reliable end user support
- Integration into other various existing equipment
- Increased quality of product output
- 95% Improved inspection accuracy
- Centralized control system
- Increased production efficiency by saving more than 2 hours of production time per day
- Project ROI: approximately 6 Months
- Project Duration: 4 Months
- End user savings: estimated approximately $2 million per year
- 100% increase in cleanliness versus inkjet use in a pharmaceutical clean room environment